Technological advances, autonomous driving, connected mobility and connectivity are transforming the automotive industry in a sustainable way. Environmental issues have also become the focus - it is not only since the "emissions scandal" that German automobile manufacturers have been forced to act on future drive and mobility concepts. According to the demands of the Federal Government, one million electric cars will be rolling on Germany's streets by the year 2020. This project also meets the wishes of many consumers who pay more attention to clean drive technologies when buying a car.
Over the next few years, it will become evident which automobile manufacturers and suppliers will be able to deal with the disruptive change. In addition to the drive system electrification, the subjects of networking and digital services (Connected Cars) will gain massive relevance in the automotive industry. The pressure on traditional automobile manufacturers is growing, also with regard to investments in research and development. Pioneering decisions must be made today! A mammoth task that requires clear concepts and the will to change. To cope with these challenges, we need forward-looking strategies and new business models that will restore confidence in the industry and sustainably strengthen its competitiveness.
For many years, POLARIXPARTNER has been advising and supporting well-known car manufacturers and automotive suppliers on strategic direction, market positioning and the substantial increase in the value of their products. Our management consulting specializes in responding quickly and effectively to current developments in the automotive industry. We are prepared for change and to work with you to shape the mobility of the future.
"Changed customer requirements, new mobility concepts and legislative proposals are seriously shifting the automotive industry. Business areas are breaking off, completely new areas and alliances are emerging, and core competencies are subject to disruptive change. Speed and agility will become future distinguishing features in the automotive sector. "
Markus Wiederstein | Managing Director & Partner at POLARIXPARTNER
Areas of activity in the Automotive industry
We support our clients in expanding their opportunities and fully exploiting their potential. As an industry insider, we provide assistance in the assessment of market developments and innovations in the automotive sector, and support you in the development of new business areas (Digital Transformation / Industry 4.0).
A healthy growth and an increase in your company value are goals that we’ll achieve together - your long-term success in the automotive market is our motivation.
MARKET & COMPETITION
Technological trends and innovations |New business models & strategies|Customer value optimization |Competitive & Benchmarking analysis |Turnaround |Due diligence |Red Flag analysis |Risk & opportunity analysis
PRODUCT & INNOVATIONS MANAGEMENT
Target Costing | Design to Cost (DtC) | Value Engineering | Value Analysis | Best Practice Benchmarking | Optimization, Requirements & Specifications | Optimization & Product Development Process (PDP)
PURCHASING & SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
Value management & Cost management | Purchasing strategies & Optimization| Optimization of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) | Supply Chain Optimization |Overall Supply Chain Effectiveness (OSE) | Bottom-up Cost Analysis for parts prices, Tool costs, Development & Software costs | Supplier Negotiations
PRODUCTION & OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
Operational Excellence | Plant Network Optimization| Optimization of direct & indirect Areas | Insourcing & Outsourcing | Design for Manufacturing (DfM, EHPV Optimization) | Relocation of Production & Start-up management | Implementation of Industry 4.0 Solutions
PROJECT MANAGEMENT & IMPLEMENTATION
Project Audit | Project Management & Project Controlling | Opportunity & Risk Management | Project Coaching |Professional Implementation Support| Interim Management
LEADERSHIP & CHANGE
Creation of new organizational structures | Implementation & Monitoring of change projects | Change Management | Trainings at POLARIXACADEMY | Training on the Job | Coaching & Know-how Transfer
Challenges in the automotive industry
Automotive suppliers, as well as the automotive industry, have to face new challenges. In addition to cost and competitive pressure, new forms of production - for example digitally connected assembly stations - are coming into focus. Current developments are forcing the industry to achieve a higher degree of flexibility and agility in production and logistics. However, the prognosis for growth is favorable if important decisions are made early.
POLARIXPARTNER supports you in the development of new markets, the expansion of market niches, the increase of customer satisfaction, the quality assurance of your products and the development of new business models. Together with you, we move the industry and deliver concepts and solutions to secure your market position in the long term and expand your business field.
NEW BUSINESS MODELS
Changing customer needs require agility at all levels: we offer the know-how for connectivity and new mobility concepts.
ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY
As a competent, reliable partner, we assist you in the implementation of all measures to reduce CO2 fleet emissions.
AUTOMOTIVE & COMMERCIAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER
We are solution-oriented and prepared for change: from modern drive concepts through autonomous driving to connectivity - innovation is our area of expertise!
Disruptive business areas and change in the entire industry demand the highest level of innovation through constant cost pressure. We support the transformation process.
Know-how for change - Automotive OEM versus mobility provider. We have concepts to change value chains and the depth of added value and to help you secure your competitive position.
Examples of automotive projects
The more diverse your challenges, the more individual our solutions. Our consultants question, analyze and develop new solutions together with you. See it for yourself.
- Detailed target price calculations of product costs for both battery systems
- Cost calculation of prototype and forming dies
- Commercial potential and clear cost transparency through constant comparison with the latest offer values of the requested suppliers
- Identification of further potential and risks through value analysis workshops
- Potential savings in a mid-double-digit million euro amount
- Comprehensive overview of the cost situation
- Dismantling, documentation of the electric engine, transmission and power electronics modules
- Derivation of performance features and functional principles
- Detailed bottom-up cost evaluation of the analysis scopes
- Comparison of the Tesla solution with the current concept of the German premium OEM
- Formulation of technical and functional optimization ideas
- Development of a target vision for future cost management that covers internal / external interfaces, organization, processes, tools & systems, and knowledge management
- Setup & improvement of standards & processes for the realization of the target vision
- 25 pilot projects for concept testing with customers
- Active coaching of customer employees as part of the pilot projects & adapted training sessions to improve cost-management basics, technical knowledge and implementation skills
- Complete dismantling and documentation (pictures, weight, technology) of five truck engines
- Creation of parts lists and cost assessment of all five engines
- Comparison of different concepts
- Identification of technical, commercial, process and supply chain potentials for the current customer engine
- Execution of design-to-cost workshops with the customer team to further identify and verify cost potential
- Complete benchmark documentation of engines
- Evaluated measures for cost optimization of the existing engine concept
- Introduction of an access-based database to track all components in terms of material costs and internal manufacturing costs for four reference vehicles
- Bottom-up reviews to verify top-down targets
- Supporting the development teams in concept design through regular, cross-functional cost-down workshops
- Coaching of employees and development of cost engineering
- Reliable database for total and individual costs including automatic change tracking
- Cost transparency over the entire development project
- Cost savings of 20% by implementing technical production potential
- Analysis of possible synthetic routes for the production of silicon / carbon compounds
- Construction of a cost model for the respective large-scale chemical processes
- Cost comparison of alternative synthetic routes
- Cost model for the synthetic routes of the silicon/carbon target product for the defined target markets in Germany and Asia
- Intermediate costs and decision making support for an optimal value chain
- Establish a team of onsite software project managers
- Set up a release planning process to control feature progress
- Release of software for test iterations and serial production
- Documentation of efforts and retrospectives with the teams for the optimization of effort evaluation
- A new generation of tractors was successfully launched onto the market in December 2016
- Positive feedback in the market regarding transmission performance and new software functionalities
POLARIXPARTNER Automotive Insights
What is it that moves the automotive industry? What is the future and what challenges will the industry face? In our Automotive Insights, you will learn about our view on the future of the automotive industry.