Mechanical engineering and plant engineering are about to undergo a process of profound change. Political framework conditions, increasing international competition and its associated price pressure, globalization and technical innovations are topics that concern and move the industry. Focusing solely on quality, time and price as success factors will no longer suffice in the future. The technological lead of European, and especially German companies is melting away. Across all segments, companies are confronted with new technologies, some of which come from outside the industry. This development will be driven by Industry 4.0, meaning the increasing digitization and integration of cyber-physical systems.
In order to operate successfully against the competition, additional assets will be needed. Job descriptions in mechanical engineering and plant construction are changing just as rapidly as the industry itself. The relevance of the classic "worker" for the value chain is declining. Instead, more and more special skills in the digital and IT sector are required (fingertip: Internet of Things).
The growing increase in customer requirements - in terms of standardization, modularization and customization - is another challenge for companies.
"Mechanical engineering and plant engineering face complex challenges. In global terms, the pressure to innovate -over 50 percent of the added value in Europe- is knowledge-based. Advancing digitization, increasing price pressure and individualization are topics that affect the industry today. As an international partner to the manufacturing industry, we look forward to meeting our customers’ challenges and successfully guiding and supporting them using our expertise, commitment and know-how."
Arne Mathias | Partner at POLARIXPARTNER
Areas of Activity in Mechanical Engineering and Plant Construction
We are here to face the challenges of the industry together with our customers. As a longtime industry expert in mechanical engineering and plant engineering, we support you and stand by your side, using our expertise in innovation management, efficiency enhancement of production and logistics, price optimization, supply chain management and digital transformation.
MARKET & COMPETITION
Technological trends and innovations |New business models & strategies|Customer value optimization |Competitive & Benchmarking analysis |Turnaround |Due diligence |Red Flag analysis |Risk & opportunity analysis
PRODUCT & INNOVATION MANAGEMENT
Target Costing | Design-to-Cost (DTC) | Value Engineering | Value analysis | Best Practice Benchmarking |Optimization requirements & specifications | Optimization of Product Development Process (PDP)
PURCHASING & SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
Value & Cost Management | Purchasing Strategy & Optimization | Optimization of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) | Supply Chain Optimization| Overall Supply Chain Effectiveness (OSE) | Bottom-up cost Analysis for part prices, tool costs, development & software costs | Supplier negotiation
PRODUCTION & OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
Operational Excellence | Optimization of plant network | Optimization of direct & indirect areas | Insourcing & Outsourcing | Design-for-Manufacturing (DfM, EHPV Optimization) | Product relocation & Start-up management |Implementation of Industry 4.0 solutions
PROJECT MANAGEMENT & IMPLEMENTATION
Project Audit | Project management & controlling | Opportunity & risk management | Project management coaching | Professional implementation support | Interim management
LEADERSHIP & CHANGE
Building new organizational structures | Implementation & Monitoring of change projects | Change Management | Trainings at the POLARIXACADEMY | Training on the Job | Coaching & Transfer of Know-how
Accepting the challenge
In close cooperation with you, we attach great importance to understanding every situation and analyzing your company's challenges, thus generating and assessing various scenarios and options to work out the "best" solution for your business.
We support you with our expertise and know-how, and we are the link to internal departments and external partners.
We offer solutions for the balancing act between sales demand in global competition and increasing price pressure in the established serial production business.
Together with you, we meet the challenge of facing the pressure of constant technological innovation in global competition! Our goal is to strengthen your position as an innovative premium manufacturer.
We support you with Industry 4.0 concepts, including your entire value chain, and help you to develop a homogenous IT infrastructure that ensures intelligent networking of machine and plant components.
INDIVIDUALIZATION AND MODULARIZATION
As a competent consultant, we assist you in answering customer-specific project requests and, together with you, implement cost-optimized modular system architectures in the established serial production business.
Examples of mechanical engineering & plant construction projects
Future challenges in mechanical engineering and plant construction are caused by the ever-increasing digitization. With the right innovations and our know-how, we develop joint perspectives for your company.
- Questioning and analyzing the existing system solution
- Conducting internal and external DtC workshops to determine cost-optimal design and functional concepts
- Identifying cost reduction potential for the series and setting a common target cost framework
- Screening the supplier market with global RFQ requests for specific system components, such as magnets (rare-earth)
- Implementation in collaboration with the system supplier
- Cost savings in re-design of generator stator of 15%
- Questioning and analysis of the existing system solution
- Conduction of DtC workshops to determine alternative design and functional concepts
- Calculation of potential cost reduction for the series and determination of target costs
- Implementation and confirmation of cost objectives
- Global RFQs with > 3 offers / purchase volume
- Definition and implementation of commercial cost objectives
- Implementation of a modular system for the new ICE 3 Generation
- Cost savings of the overall system of 18%
- Best practice calculation of selected system components
- Adjustment negotiations with the contracted supplier
- Inquiries and negotiations with alternative suppliers
- Conduction of DtC workshops with the customer
- Implementation in close cooperation with the customer
- Cost savings of turbine shaft of 23%
- Benchmarking for three plants of the current manufacturing process.
- Best Practices in calculation of the assembly and production of a generator shaft.
- Development of a cost plan to determine the plant's transfer prices.
- Best Practices in production concept of the machining and assembly of a rotor shaft.
- Transparent cost plans for specific manufacturing processes in all three plants.
- Presentation of a 25-30% savings potential in non-productive time during the cutting process.
- Reverse engineering of four competitive products
- Evaluation of functional and system costs
- Analysis and optimization of eight systems
- Implementation of ideas with the suppliers
- Joint creation of a "should cost" bill of materials (BOM)
- Cost savings of existing series > 12%
- Cost potential for the new generation > 22%
- Analysis of the system design in the early development phase
- Benchmark of comparable competition concepts
- Conduction of DtC workshops to identify best practice solutions in design and functional concepts
- Determination of target costs
- Global RFQ requests with > 5 offers per system scope
- Selection of system suppliers and negotiation of planned target costs
- Definition of system design for the current series and implementation of planned target costs
- Cost savings of overall system versus planned cost of 28%
POLARIXPARTNER Mechanical Engineering and Plant Construction Insights
Due to globalization and new guidelines, mechanical engineering and plant construction are at a turning point! In our Mechanical Engineering and Plant Construction Insights, we show you what you currently need to know, and keep you updated about upcoming developments in the industry.